- International arbitration and litigation
- International trade and shipping
- International investment law
- Emerging markets
- Public international law
Vitaliy is an experienced advocate and a long-standing member of the Gentium team. He specialises in dispute resolution, with a particular focus on international trade, general commercial disputes, shipping and related financial services. He acted as advocate in a number of high value arbitrations both in the United Kingdom and Switzerland, and as an instructing solicitor in the London High Court, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. Being a native speaker of Russian and Ukrainian, Vitaliy is our first point of contact for clients from Eastern Europe.
Solicitor, England and Wales
Attorney and Counsellor-at-Law, New York
LL.M. Boston University, School of Law, 2011
LL.B. Queen Mary, University of London, 2010
Erasmus, Catholic University of Leuven, 2009
International Course in Social Science, Queen Mary University of London, 2006
Selection of reported cases
Integral Petroleum S.A. v Melars Group Ltd  EWHC 1893 (Comm)
Integral Petroleum S.A. v SCU-Finanz AG  EWCA Civ 144
Newland Shipping & Forwarding Ltd v Toba Trading FZC  EWHC 661 (Comm)
United Petroleum (UK) LLP v Varteg Energy S.A.  EWHC 4652
Taurus Petroleum Ltd v State Oil Marketing Co of the Ministry of Oil, Iraq  EWHC 3494 (Comm)
Euro-Asian Oil SA v Abilo (UK) Ltd, Credit Suisse AG, Mr Dan Igniska  EWHC 485 (Comm)
- Representing a government-owned company in a US$450 million UNCITRAL joint venture / investment dispute with a Caspian region state.
- Representing several hundred employees of an international organisation in a dispute with that organisation worth approximately US$4 billion before the Administrative Tribunal of the International Labour Organisation and subsequently before the European Court of Human Rights.
- Representing and advising one of Switzerland’s largest banks in a High Court dispute worth US$50 million with a commodity-trading house concerning the interpretation of letters of credit and letters of indemnity.
- Representing a Geneva-based commodity trading house in a multi-million dollar dispute with a provider of hedging and investment advisory services, involving issues of Markets in Financial Instruments Directive, Financial Services and Markets Act and Danish Financial Business Act.
- Representing a Geneva-based commodity trading house in a US$12 million charter party dispute with a Russian ship owner involving issues of maritime liens, demurrage and freight.
- Advising a Geneva-based shipping company on a joint-venture involving acquisition of five tanker vessels.
- Advising on a joint-venture agreement between a Geneva-based petroleum trader and a state-owned Ukrainian company for acquisition and shipment of crude oil from the Balkans and its refinement in Ukraine.