Since 2000 we have worked on a number of big energy projects, including electricity production, power plants, FIDIC construction and services contracts for governments and private companies. In addition to contract negotiation, the work performed also included litigation, mediation and arbitration procedures.
On many occasions we assisted governmental and private entities during long stints as they built such necessary infrastructure as tunnels and roads; we helped them establish consortiums with a wide array of international companies and were also involved in pricing and trading issues pertaining to the electricity sector.
- Acting for a Russian joint venture partner in a dispute arising out of defaults by its US counterpart in respect of commitments to exploit oil concessions in Western Africa.
- Acting for an international project management company in a dispute with a major Western European oil company over a project to construct a liquid natural gas refinery plant in Yemen.
- Acting for a national state-owned East Asian petroleum corporation in connection with allegations of fraudulent preparation of trading contracts by a counterpart in another nationally owned petroleum corporation in the same region; arbitration proceedings before the International Chamber of Commerce worth over US$100 million were commenced in London under English law.
- Representing a unit of Russian local government in a complaint of judicial expropriation of that entity’s interest in a major oil refinery by the government of a neighbouring state; advice and representation in relation to investment treaty arbitration proceedings.
- Acting for a major Russian oil company in investment treaty disputes with Ukraine concerning judicial expropriation of a joint venture refinery, involving claims worth several hundred million US Dollars.
- Acting for a major Eastern European steel company in a complaint before the European Court of Human Rights regarding government expropriation of contractual rights through corrupt insolvency proceedings in respect of a state-owned company.