Construction and infrastructure
We have extensive experience in resolving high-value and complex disputes in construction, infrastructure and public-private partnership (PPP) projects. Our lawyers have first-hand construction experience from acting on some of the largest construction projects and disputes. This experience allows us to offer an efficient, cost-effective approach in the most complex construction disputes before different arbitration tribunals, including FIDIC boards. We represented governments, major construction companies, international project management companies and construction financiers.
- Representation of a Cypriot construction and shipping family in a dispute over ownership of and income from a major international construction company operating in the Middle East.
- Acting for an international project management company in a dispute with a major Western European oil company over a project to construct a liquid natural gas refinery plant in Yemen.
- Acting for a Russian construction financier in a US$120 million dispute over a Russian-Austrian joint venture to construct a shopping mall in eastern Russia.
- Acting for the vendors of a Russian beverages company in a US$140m M&A dispute with private equity buyers.
- Acting for a Russian telecommunications company in its ongoing joint venture dispute with Russian and European partners, arising out of a multi-billion Dollar corporate restructuring deal.
- Advising a mining company on obtaining financing for a €250 million quarry development project in West Africa, and negotiating project and contractual documents; advising on international taxation issues.
- Representing a global mining conglomerate with Russian headquarters in a dispute with a rival international mining group over ownership of a multi-billion Dollar southern African precious metal concession.
- Claim relating to fraudulent misprocurement of a state contract with a national port authority in a west-African post-conflict state; arbitration proceedings before the London Court of International Arbitration relating to payment of bribes, followed by advice and representation on legal proceedings before the High Court in London and enforcement proceedings in Washington, DC.
- Acting for the Government of a West African country in an arbitration matter worth approximately US$50m, arising out of a cancelled BOT contract to manage the country’s national port facilities.
- Acting for a major Russian oil company in investment treaty disputes with Ukraine concerning judicial expropriation of a joint venture refinery, involving claims worth several hundred million US Dollars.
- Acting for a major Eastern European steel company in a complaint before the European Court of Human Rights regarding government expropriation of contractual rights through corrupt insolvency proceedings in respect of a state-owned company.
- Advising a West African country on sovereign lending in the value of €150 million for a comprehensive infrastructure development project; advising on sovereign risk and procurement issues, and transaction structure with a major British-based investment bank.